It looked like a major upset was in the making during the North Division 2 quarterfinal round. But in the second half, it was the defending champions who made sure the bracket wasn't going to be busted.
Burlington High School pushed unbeaten Reading in the first half, trailing by just four points at the intermission. But the Rockets turned on the jets in the second half, cruising to a 62-40 victory to eliminate the Red Devils.
"I asked them to do some things I haven't asked them to do at all this season except against Reading," said Burlington head coach Pam Coppola. "So you're going to have some break downs, and once they got tired, that's what happened."
The Red Devils ended the season at 12-10, a mark that included a 60-55 victory over Lynn Classical in the opening round, the program's first postseason appearance in close to a decade.
Are you a big fan of the Red Devils? You'll also want to see:
- Title Defense Starts Sunday for Red Devils Hockey
- Boys Basketball Coach Tom Lyons Dishes Credit to Players
- Playoff Brackets Unveiled for Red Devil Teams
- Farley Pours Home Historic Point Total for Red Devils
- Region's Teams Ranked Among State's Best
- Conley's Passion Behind the Bench Sparks Red Devils
- Sara Walsh And BHS Girls Hockey Making History