UPDATED: Lockdown at L-S Lifted After Phoned-In Bomb Threat

Police say the time-specific threat has 'substantially passed.'

After a thorough search of Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School by school and emergency personnel today, a phoned-in bomb threat was deemed a hoax and the lockdown the school was in was lifted early this afternoon.

According to Lt. Scott Nix, the threat was made for a specific time on Friday.

"That time has been substantially passed," Nix said around 1 p.m. "I don't want to give out the exact time because it's part of the investigation."

Nix reported at about noon the school was in a "quasi-lockdown," meaning students who were in a classroom could continue with the class, and that no one was allowed in or out of those classrooms or the school.

"The school and police are doing a joint investigation at this point in time," Nix said. "We are following up on some leads that we have, but it remains under investigation."

The State Police, which has bomb-sniffing dogs, was not called to the scene.

"We were confident in the circumstances and the search that was made that it was not necessary," Nix said.

Superintendent/Principal Scott Carpenter said he wanted parents to be assured the school was safe.

"The combination of police, fire and school officials, and in particular our building and grounds staff and our teachers, really facilitated making this a quick process," he said. "I really appreciate the support in addressing the call that was made. We just alerted parents that public safety has consulted with us and deemed the building clear and we have the school returning to a regular school day."

Carpenter said students who were unable to attend their regular lunch break are being given a chance to get something to eat.

Buses are running normal time and all scheduled activities today and tonight are also on.

Below are the updates from earlier today.


Update 1:02 p.m.

Fire Department personnel are leaving the scene of Lincoln-Sudbury High School.

Update 12:56 p.m.

Sudbury Patch editor Rob Fucci says students and faculty are once again anle to come-and-go from Lincoln-Sudbury High School, so it appears the lockdown is over. 

Earlier story

Lincoln-Sudbury High School is in quasi-lockdown mode after a bomb threart, according to Sudbury Police Lt. Scott Nix. That means students continue their classes, but no one can come or go.

Nix says the cafeteria has been cleared, and the rest of the school is being thoroughly checked.

L-S parents call an alert from the high school, says Finance Committee member and Sudbury resident Bob Stein in a phone call to Sudbury Patch editor Rob Fucci.

Fucci in on the scene and says two police cars, one EMT vehicle and one firetruck are parked by the school, along with the police chief's SUV.

Stay with Sudbury Patch for the latest developments on this story. And if you have any more details to add, please put them in the comment section below.

SudStudent February 03, 2013 at 01:24 AM
If the threat was called in to get the kids outside the police wouldn't have been searching inside classrooms for suspicious objects like they were.
Erich Waible February 03, 2013 at 03:21 AM
Hey SudStudent, it was a hypothetical question. So explain why you were kept in school while the police searched for devices?
SudStudent February 03, 2013 at 06:27 PM
Beats me as to why we were kept in school. Around 12 people were noticing police cars, fire trucks, and ambulances in the school parking lots. 15 minutes later Carpenter came on the speaker and told us to stay in classrooms and in the cafeteria or library. Cops were running around the building and were checking classrooms. I myself was in the library but I had a friend tell me after that a police officer came into her classroom and thought a teacher's backpack was a suspicious object and checked it. Throughout the lockdown, if anyone wanted to use the bathroom, we had to be ushered by a teacher. Otherwise, no one was allowed to leave where they were or enter. I don't know why were kept in the school while the police were searching, absolutely no clue and me and other students are completely baffled by it. If I had an answer I would give it, but I don't.
Devils Advocate February 04, 2013 at 12:29 AM
if it was a hypothetical question and didn't actually happen why are you using it to say we should trust the police when they really put the kids in more danger...
Sam Based February 07, 2013 at 01:30 AM
If there was a bomb threat on a school, and there really was a bomb, and a person with intent to blow it. A evacuation would only make him set the bomb off sooner. He sees students beginning to leave the building, says "screw it" sets off the bomb.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »