Some Burlington residents are still without power following .
This morning NSTAR updated its town-by-town report on power outages with new figures on customers without power and estimated times for power restoration. This morning the utility company reported there were 344 Burlington customers in town without power and as of this afternoon it reported that the number is down to 185 customers without power.
NSTAR is estimating that all customers will have power no later than this evening.
Chief Yetman of the said this week that the department has had extra staff for the storm and storm recovery. He said that in a span of 12 to 24 hours starting Saturday afternoon the department responded to between 50 and 60 calls, most for downed wires, downed trees, arching wires and fires. Fortunately, Yetman said, no injuries have been reported as a result of the storm.
- A warming center has been opened at the (Council on Aging) for any resident looking to head to a place with power. The warming center was in the high school but it has been moved to 61 Center Street. The Burlington Mall is also open normal business hours today.
- Power lines are still down in areas around town. Be careful and don't approach any downed wires, even if they appear to be dead.
- Please check on any neighbors who are seniors, have known medical issues or are otherwise at potential risk due to the weather/power outages.
- If you are using a generator, always operate it outside in the open air.
- Check the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- If using a space heater, maintain a 3-foot buffer between it and any combustibles and if using candles for light, maintain a 1-foot buffer in all directions from any flammable materials. Never leave candles unattended.
- Halloween trick-or-treating has been postponed until Friday, Nov. 4 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
Important phone numbers to have at hand:
For all emergencies call 911.
- Burlington Police 781-270-1916
- Burlington Fire Department: 781-272-2211
- Burlington DPW: 781-270-1670
- NStar 1-800-592-2000
- Verizon 1-800-837-4966