Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, Aug. 12. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny: Looks like a good day for the sunglasses. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies today with a high temperature near 80 degrees.
- Healthy living: The , 61 Center St. is holding a "" exercise program for people 55 years and older at 9:15 a.m. today. This class will teach participants methods to live life to the fullest and have fun while strength training, balancing, moving and stretching.
- Summer Reading finale: The is wrapping up its Teen Summer Reading Program with a from 2 to 3:30 today. Celebrate the end of summer reading with some food and a few prizes, The grand prize winner of “You Are Here” will be revealed.
- Farmers Market: Burlington's is having its second day today. The will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. at the , 6 Lexington St. For more information see our .
- Somewhere over the rainbow: On this day in 1939 the classic film "The Wizard of Ozz" premiered in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The story tells the tale of young Dorothy, who after trying to run away from home is transported to the magical land of Ozz by a tornado where she must travel to the Emerald City, with the help of some unlikely friends, to visit the famous wizard who lives there while being pursued by the Wicked Witch of the West, who is after her ruby slippers. Star Judy Garland became famous for the movie's song "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." The movie premiered in Hollywood on Aug. 15.
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.