Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Sept. 20. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny and comfortable: Looks like a nice though slightly cool day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 65 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 48.
- Public meetings: The Board of Assessor's is meeting at 6 p.m. in the Assessor's office at Town Hall. The Planning Board is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the main hearing room at Town Hall.
- Foreign Affairs talk: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a foreign affairs discussion at 10:30 a.m. today. The discussions will be led by Dr. Craig Brandt, a former naval officer who has been a professor at the Air Force Institute of Technology and dean of academic affairs at the Defense Institute of Security Assistance Management.
- Bridge: The Burlington Public Library is hosting two bridge playing events today. The first is COA Bridge Players, a group aimed at seniors, which will meet at 1 p.m. The second is the Thursday Night Bridge group, which meets at 6:30 p.m. Both sessions are open to the public, so come down, play some bridge and meet new people.
- Lewis & Clark: On this day in 1806, Meriweather Lewis and William Clark arrived at the village of La Charette, after exploring Western lands for over two years. During the expedition, Lewis and Clark worked with Native American tribes to explore the upper areas of Missouri and traveled all the way to the Pacific Ocean. Two days later, the men returned to St. Louis, where they had begun their trip in 1804.