Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Thursday, Sept. 2. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- More of the same: The nice weather we've had the last few days is expected to continue today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high temperature near 75 degrees. Tonight it will be mostly clear with a low around 56.
- Quilting: The is hosting the Quilt Club from 10 a.m. to noon. The group is open to anyone and is for people who love quilting and want to share ideas with friends.
- Farmers Market: Burlington's is having its final day of the season today. The will be held from 3 to 7 p.m. at the , 6 Lexington St. For more information see our .
- 140 word news: Did you know Burlington Patch uses Twitter to post updates of area new throughout the day? If you'd like to stay updated and join in the conversation, follow us on Twitter by following @BurlingtonPatch.
- An epic life: On this day in 1973 scholar and writer J.R.R. Tokien passed away at the age of 81. Tolkien is best known for his fantasy epic "The Lord of the Rings" and the children's story that started it all, "The Hobbit." Many more of his works on Middle Earth were published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien, including "The Similliarion" and the collections of "Books of Lost Tales." Aside from fantasy writing Tolkien was also a scholar and worked on the "Oxford English Dictionary," where he focused on the history and etymology of the letter W. He was also a veteran of World War I.
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.