Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Tuesday, May 29. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Chance of showers, t-storms: We have a fifty-fifty chance of getting some rain with the possibility of thunderstorms today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect rain and storms after 9 a.m. Otherwise cloudy with a high near 79 degrees. Showers and thunderstorms likely tonight with a low around 64.
- Dine for a cause: , in the Wayside Commons, is supporting a new cause. This month, the of any meals bought on Tuesdays from sales to the Burlington Education Foundation.
- Blood drive: The American Red Cross is holding a from 1:3- to 7 p.m. today at the Burlington , 162 Winn St. Do you part and donate today.
- New career help: The is hosting a program from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today. This is a networking and workshop dedicated to providing a 'roadmap to re-employment' for transitioning professionals. It is free and all are welcome.
- Convicting al-Qaeda: On this day in 2001, four followers of Osama bin Laden were convicted of a global conspiracy to murder Americans in the bombing of American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998. The blasts killed 224 people, including 12 Americans. Some 5,000 people were injured.