Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, May 17. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny: Looks like the rain and clouds from the last couple days are on their way out. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 73 degrees. Clear tonight with a low around 44.
- Public meeting: The Burlington Planning Board is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the main hearing room at Town Hall this evening.
- Japanese anime club: The is hosting a from 2:45 to 4 p.m. They will be viewing Japanese anime (animation) and discussing manga (Japanese comics). There will also be crafts, drawing, snacks - plus giveaways and contests.
- Home games: s varsity teams have a variety of home games today. The girls varsity tennis team is hosting a match against Wakefield Memorial High at 3:30 p.m. at . The boys varsity baseball team is playing Wilmington High at 3:45 p.m. at . The girls varsity softball team is playing Wilmington at 3:45 p.m. at Marvin Field, 90 Bedford St. and the boys varsity lacrosse team is playing Watertown High at 5 p.m. at the high school.
- I thought about going to the store, then I went to the store...: On this day in 1873, Dorothy Richardson is born. The author would become the "mother" of "stream of consciousness" writing. Although she's not as famous as other stream of consciousness writers—like Virginia Woolf—she is credited with being the first to write in the stream style. Her novel Pilgrimmage was 12 volumes long and published over several years. Richardson died at the age of 84 in 1957.