Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Tuesday, May 1. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Showers, kind of cool: Doesn't look like a great day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect showers today and otherwise cloudy with fog. A high near 50 degrees. A chance of showers tonight with a low around 44.
- Public meetings: The Capital Budget Committee is meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the basement meeting room in the Town Hall Annex. The Board of Appeals is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the main hearing room at
- Blood drive: Give the gift of life by donating at the today. The drive will be at the from 1:30 to 7 p.m.
- Lose weight with support: The group (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is holding a weekly Tuesday meeting today. The group will meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the . New members are always welcome to join this supportive and friendly group.
- An Empire State of mind: On this day in 1931, the Empire State Building in New York City was opened. In a symbolic opening ceremony, President Herbert Hoover pressed a button in the White House which "turned on" the lights in NYC. The building was the tallest skyscraper in the world at the time, measuring 1,250 feet high and 102 stories. Today, the tallest building is the Burj Khalifa tower in Dubai—2,717 feet tall.