Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, March 16. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Thunderstruck: Ah, we’ve waited awhile to get that AC/DC reference back into Five Things! Today’s the day, according to the National Weather Service, we’ll see thunder tonight and rain tonight after 5 p.m. The day should be cloudy with temperatures around 50 degrees. Chance of showers tonight with an overnight low around 41.
- Needle talk: The is hosting the monthly today from 10 to 11:45 a.m. This club offers participants a chance to learn, share, and motivate one another in the art of knitting.
- Open gym for moms: The Burlington Recreation department is hosting a from 11 a.m. to noon at the . Let the kids run around for an hour as they provide hula hoops, balls, and many other toys to play with. Cost is $1 for members and $2 for non-members.
- Wine tasting: Busa Wine & Spirits is hosting a wine tasting from 3 to 6 p.m. today. Come down and try Cheatuea St. Jean wines, one of the first wineries in California to craft single vineyard designed wines.
- Salem’s native son: On this day in 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne of Salem published the infamous story of colonial adultery—The Scarlet Letter. The story introduced us to Hester Prynne, forced to wear a scarlet “A” on her chest to symbolize the adultery she guilty of. Hawthorne’s other works include Young Goodman Brown and the House of Seven Gables.