Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Wednesday, June 6. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Cloudy, chance of showers: The sun is still playing hide-and-seek today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a 40-percent chance of showers after 8 a.m. Otherwise mostly cloudy with a high near 65 degrees. A slight chance of showers tonight with a low around 49.
- Public meeting: The Land Use Committee is meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the Town Hall Annex basement meeting room. On the agenda is a discussion on amending a bylaw to preserve the "character of neighborhoods" and a proposal for infrastucture needs on Middlesex Turnpike.
- Retirement help: The is hosting a discussion on retirement planning from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. The program will focus on the non-financial aspects of retirement preparation and relevant issues for anyone newly retired or considering retirement.
- Home games: 's varsity teams have a couple of home games today. The boys varsity track team is hosting a meet at 3:30 p.m. for a tournament game at the high school. The boys varsity tennis team is hosting a game against Danvers High School at 3:45 p.m. at for an MIAA Championship match.
- Saving the cow: On this day in 1981, hundreds of people were killed in a train accident in India. The train engineer believed cows are sacred, so when a cow crossed in front of his train, he braked hard to keep from injuring the cow. Monsoon conditions had made the tracks slippery, causing the cars to skid on the rails and into the Baghmati River. Over 600 people died in the crash and several hundred people's remains were never found.