Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, June 18. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny after morning fog: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect patchy fog this morning followed by mostly sunny skies throughout the day. High near 74 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 58.
- Preserve the park: The are tonight at 7 p.m. in the Folgelberg A meeting room at the . The purpose of this meeting is to To discuss and plan strategies to ensure that in Burlington and Woburn remains open to the public for recreation and conservation.
- Watch meetings you miss: Miss a town meeting that had an issue on the agenda you wanted to see? You can watch meetings on BCAT's web site at this link: www.bcattv.org
- Town Hall fundraiser: Burlington employees will be walking in a 5K fundraiser walk at the Town Commons at 4:30 p.m. today. Members of the public are invited to purchase raffle tickets (either in the tax office or at the walk) to help raise funds. The event is for the granddaughter of a .
- Ride, Sally, Ride: Ok, so the real song was Captain, but on this day in 1983, Dr. Sally Ride, became the first American woman in space. Dr. Ride, an astrophysicist from Stanford, was a mission specialist who operated the shuttle’s robotic arm which she had helped design. Women were restricted from participating in the astronaut program until 1978 when NASA changed its policy. Six women were chosen out of 3,000 applicants and approved to become astronauts in the NASA program.