Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, July 9. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Cloudy but warm: Temperatures will be pretty high but the sun may be hiding today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect increasing clouds with a high near 86 degrees. Partially cloudy tonight with a low around 55.
- Public meeting: The Burlington Recreation Department is meeting at 7 p.m. this evening in the meeting room at .
- Movie matinee: The is holding a matinee movie with popcorn for students in grades 6 to 12 at 3:15 p.m. this afternoon.
- Historical open house: There is an at the , 56 Francis Wyman Road, at 1 p.m. this afternoon. Take a look inside the newly rehabbed historical house. Children can make old fashion clay marbles.
- Tennis Anyone?: On this day in 1877, Wimbledon was first hosted at the All England Croquet and Lawn Tennis Club in England. The first lawn tennis tournament had 21 men compete for a 25-guinea trophy. The men's singles competition was the only event held at the first year of the Wimbledon. Frank Hadow won the first championship defeating Spencer Gore.