Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Friday, July 6. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny, warm: Looks like a nice, but pretty warm, day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 87 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 68.
- Quilting: The is hosting the Quilt Club from 10 a.m. to noon. The group is open to anyone and is for people who love quilting and want to share ideas with friends.
- Oragami: The library is also hosting two classes today. The first is for students entering grades 2 to 5 and runs from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. The second is for older students and teens and runs from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Registration is required and the library can be reached at 781-270-1690.
- 140 word news: Did you know Burlington Patch uses Twitter to post updates of area new throughout the day? If you'd like to stay updated and join in the conversation, follow us on Twitter by following @BurlingtonPatch.
- Trouble at the Big Top: On this day in 1944, a fire broke out at the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus in Hartford, CT. The quick moving fire lasted only 10 minutes, but the aftermath was devastating—167 killed and 682 injured. Among the dead were 100 children. Due to the speed of the blaze, there was widespread panic. Many people were caught in the stampede to exit the tent, while others were pinned under burning pieces of canvas. The cause of the fire was never known.