Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Tuesday, July 31. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny: Looks like another nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect partly sunny skies early today leading to sunny skies later on. High temperature near 77 degrees. A slight chance of showers tonight with a low around 61.
- Public meeting: The School Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. at 100 Cook St., Billerica.
- Blood drive: The American Red Cross is holding a from 1:3- to 7 p.m. today at the Burlington , 162 Winn St. Do you part and donate today.
- New career help: The is hosting a program from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today. This is a networking and workshop dedicated to providing a 'roadmap to re-employment' for transitioning professionals. It is free and all are welcome.
- The Hoffa 'riddle' begins: On this day in 1975, James Riddle Hoffa disappears from Detroit and is never heard from again. The 'riddle' of the labor leader's death remains unsolved today, as some believe he was killed by the Mafia, while others believe his death was a conspiracy. Hoffa was imprisoned for bribery in 1967 until his sentence was commuted in 1971. At the time of his disappearance, Hoffa was planning to come back to the Teamsters and fight a court restriction that said he could not work with unions until 1981