Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Wednesday, July 18. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Hot, chance of t-storms: There is a chance of thunderstorms and showers this afternoon but it doesn't look like they'll do much to dent the heat, according to the National Weather Service. Otherwise we can expect partly sunny skies with a high near 90 degrees. Chance of showers tonight with a low around 64.
- Game on: The is holding a board game and Wii play for children three and up from 1 to 2 p.m. today.
- Mosquito spraying: Part of Burlington will be sprayed for mosquitoes this evening. to find out where they will be spraying.
- 140 character news: Did you know Burlington Patch uses Twitter to post updates of area new throughout the day? If you'd like to stay updated and join in the conversation, follow us on Twitter by following @BurlingtonPatch.
- Chappaquiddick: Say that word in Massachusetts and anyone over 30 years old will know exactly what you're talking about. On this day in 1969, Senator Ted Kennedy drove his car off a bridge on Chappaquiddick Island. He escaped his submerged car, but his passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, died. It took Kennedy 10 hours to report the incident to police. The senator plead guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and received a two-month suspended sentence and a year-long license suspension. The Chappaquiddick accident followed Kennedy for the rest of his life, but never derailed his political career. He served 47 years in the U.S. Senate before his death in 2009, 40 years after Chappaquiddick.