Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Friday, July 13. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Hot: Looks like a real warm one today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 92 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 66.
- Public meeting: The Disability Access Commission is meeting at 9:30 a.m. in the Recreation Department Meeting Room in the first floor of the Human Services Building.
- Japanese anime club: The is hosting a event from 2 to 3 p.m. today. The club will be viewing Japanese anime (animation) and discussing manga (Japanese comics). There will also be crafts, drawing, snacks - plus giveaways and contests.
- Music lessons: Interested in learning how to play an instrument? Burlington's is currently for students interesting in learning about their spring session that runs until August 1. Call today to schedule yours at 888.881.REAL (7325).
- Doomed colony: On this day in 1585, 108 English colonists reached Roanoke Island in what would become North Carolina. The colonists had a hard time finding food and according to reports had violent run-ins with the local natives. In 1587 a new group of 150 colonists settled in Chesapeake Bay and in July of that year a group traveled to Roanoke to gather the colonists there but they found nothing but a skeleton.