Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Wednesday, July 11. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- More sunshine: Looks like today will more or less be a repeat of yesterday, weather wise. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies and a high temperature near 84 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 49.
- Public meetings: A Planning Board sub-committee is meeting at 10 a.m. in the Town Hall Annex basement meeting room to discuss the proposed . A sub-committee of the School Committee is meeting at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at to discuss the district's allergy policy. The Land Use Committee is meeting at 6:30 p.m. in the lunch meeting room.
- Lego Club: The is hosting a for children in grades 1 to 6 at 3:30 this afternoon. They supply the Legos, you bring your imagination.
- Habitat for Humanity: There will be a fundraiser event featuring trivia, music, drinks and raffles at to from 7 to 9 p.m. this evening. Registration is requested. .
- Fighting Founders: On this day in 1804 Secretary of the Treasurery Alexander Hamilton was killed in a duel by his long-time political rival and sitting Vice President Aaron Burr. The two men had a long-standing political and personal conflict that reached the boiling point when Burr felt Hamilton had defamed his character in the press during the 1804 New York gubernatorial race, in which Burr was running. Though Burr was indicted for murder he was acquitted. The fall-out of the duel, which happened at a time when the country was moving away from such practices, ended his political career.