"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, July 1. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny, chance of showers: A bit of a mixed-bag today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high temperature near 77 degrees today. However, there is also a chance of showers, mostly after 11 a.m.
- Quilting: The is hosting the Quilt Club from 10 a.m. to noon. The group is open to anyone and is for people who love quilting and want to share ideas with friends.
- Healthy living: The , 61 Center St. is holding a "" exercise program for people 55 years and older at 9:15 a.m. today. This class will teach participants methods to live life to the fullest and have fun while strength training, balancing, moving and stretching.
- Story time: The is offering Storytime: today. This is a 20-minute event for children under 18 months old that features simple stories and songs. Babytime starts at 11 a.m.
- Take your music with you: On this day in 1979, the first Sony Walkman went on sale. The device allowed people to walk around while listening to their favorite music on a portable stereo device. Although it only sold 3,000 in the first month, disappointing the Sony company, the Walkman would become a technological marvel owned by almost everyone. Really, how did we ever workout before the Walkman?
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.