Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, Jan. 9. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny though not as warm: It looks like another nice day, though not quite as warm as the weekend. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 38 degrees. Increasing clouds tonight with a low around 29.
- Board of Selectmen: The Burlington Board of Selectmen is meeting at 7 p.m. this evening in the main hearing room at Town Hall. The agenda for today includes a discussion of the and the .
- Magic fun: The is hosting "," featuring professional magician Jack Ryan who will present an evening of sophisticated magic, ESP, humor and audience participation. The show is free and begins at 7 p.m.
- Move night: The is hosting a "" at 6 p.m. this evening. They will be showing the Christmas related Veggie Tales movie, "The Little Drummer Boy". In addition to the movie, they'll have a meal as well as crafts and activities and balloon animals for the children.
- The Little … Manatee?: On this day in 1493, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus reports seeing three “mermaids” in the water as he sailed near what is today the Dominican Republic. According to History.com, Columbus said the “mermaids [were] not half as beautiful as they are painted.” Well, Chris, that’s because they were manatees. Many sailors through the years reported seeing mermaids in oceanic waters, but historians believe they were really just manatees, large sea cows with human-like eyes and an affection for people.