Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Tuesday, Jan. 24. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Morning showers; then sun: Looks like a mixed bag today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect showers this morning, mostly before 9 a.m. Otherwise we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 48 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 27.
- School committees: The is meeting at 7:30 p.m. in the School Committee meeting room at . The School Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. at 100 Cook St., Billerica.
- Storytimes: The is offering a two story times today. The first is e for children 18 to 36 months at 10:15 a.m. followed by for children 3 to 6 at 11 a.m. In the evening the library is hosting for children 3 to 7 at 7 p.m.
- Word game: The Burlington Library is also hosting today from 3:30 to 4:45 p.m. today. The club is open to all children in grades 4 through 8 and offers them a chance to learn the game, have friendly competition and meet new friends.
- This Bud’s for you: On this day in 1935, the first canned beer drink is consumed in Virginia. The American Can Company and the Gottfried Krueger Brewing Company teamed up to present the canned beer to Virginians. When it was met with a favorable response, manufacturing continued and expanded. With Krueger leading the way, the other big beer companies—Anheuser-Busch, Pabst and Schlitz—followed suit. Today, nearly half of beer sales are attributed to canned drinks.