Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, Jan. 23. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Freezing rain early: Be careful on the roads, they could be slick this morning. According to the National Weather Service we can expect freezing rain this morning, mostly before 10 a.m., then a chance of rain. Otherwise patchy fog with a high temperature of 41. Rainy tonight with a low around 38.
- Town meeting: The is tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium. Burlington Patch will be there and reporting live from the meeting.
- Candidate info: The Burlington Town Clerk's office is hosting a from 4:30 to 7 p.m. this evening. If you are this is a chance to learn about the process, requirements and responsibilities of the office.
- Preserve the park: The are tonight at 7 p.m. in the Folgelberg A meeting room at the . The purpose of this meeting is to To discuss and plan strategies to ensure that in Burlington and Woburn remains open to the public for recreation and conservation.
- First female doctor: On this day in 1849, the first woman doctor earns a degree at Geneva College in New York. Elizabeth Blackwell is not a household name, but she is a pioneer for women. Blackwell not only served in private practice, she also opened the New York Infirmary for Women and Children in 1857. Less than 10 years later, the infirmary was expanded to include a women’s college for doctors and nurses.