Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, Jan. 20. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 33 degrees today. A chance of snow tonight with a low around 11. Chance of precipitation around 30 percent.
- Baby books: The is hosting a for newborns to children 18 months old at 11 a.m. this morning. Delight and stimulate your baby’s senses with books, songs and puppets that help build brain power.
- Needle talk: The is hosting the monthly today from 10 to 11:45 a.m. This club offers participants a chance to learn, share, and motivate one another in the art of knitting.
- Home game: The boys varsity gymnastics team is hosting a home game against Braintree High at 7 p.m. this evening in the school.
- Hostage crisis ends: On this day in 1980, the Iran Hostage Crisis ends. Just moments after President Ronald Reagan was inaugurated, the 52 American hostages being held in Iran were released. The hostages were originally taken when militant Iranian students stormed the U.S. Embassy. Weeks later, the Ayatollah took over the situation, releasing non-U.S. captives, American women and American minorities. The remaining 52 hostages were held for 14 months.