Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Thursday, Jan. 12. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Snow and rain: Looks like a chance for a messy day. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a mix of rain and snow this morning, followed by rain after 9 a.m. High temperature near 43 degrees. Rain likely tonight with a low around 34.
- Tree pick-up: If you haven't gotten your Christmas tree out to the curb yet you have until 7 a.m. to do so. Trees must be free of decorations and stands and not be in a bag.
- Public meetings: There are multiple public meetings today. The . in the hearing room at . The is meeting at 7 p.m. in the hearing room at Town Hall, the is meeting at 7 p.m. in the Town Hall Annex basement and the is meeting at 7 p.m. at the .
- Japanese anime club: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a will be viewing Japanese anime (animation) and discussing manga (Japanese comics). There will also be crafts, drawing, snacks - plus giveaways and contests.
- A deadly blizzard: On this day in 1888, 235 people died due to a sudden blizzard across the Northwest Plains. Many of those who perished in the blizzard were children trying to walk home from school in the blizzard conditions. While some teachers were able to keep their students in the school buildings, others had already dismissed children. Many got lost due to the conditions and died of frostbite.