Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Wednesday, Jan. 11. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sun today, possible snow tonight: Looks like a clear day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 37 degrees. Snow likely tonight, mainly late towards Thursday morning, with snow accumulation of less than an inch possible.
- Public meetings: There are multiple public meetings in town today. The Ways & Means subcommittee is meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the second-floor hearing room at , the Council on Aging is meeting at 10 a.m. in the . The Grandview Farm Advisory Committee is meeting at 7 p.m. in the Town Hall Annex basement meeting room.
- Music lessons: Interested in learning how to play an instrument? Burlington's is currently as part of their winter open enrollment. Call today to schedule yours at 888.881.REAL (7325).
- Garden meeting: The is hosting the monthly meeting of the Burlington Gardening Club at 7 p.m. this evening.
- Grand Canyon preserved: On this day in 1908, President Theodore Roosevelt declared the Grand Canyon a national monument. The park was part of Roosevelt’s environmental conservation initiative as president. When declaring the canyon a national monument, Roosevelt said, “Let this great wonder of nature remain as it now is. You cannot improve upon it. But what you can do is keep it for your children, your children’s children, and all who come after you, as the one great sight which every American should see.”