Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Thursday, Feb. 9. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Cloudy morning, then clear: Looks like another nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a mostly cloudy morning with skies becoming gradually clearer through the day. High temperature of 45 degrees. Clear tonight with a low around 25.
- Public meetings: Burlington's at 7 p.m. in the main hearing room at . The is meeting at the at 7 p.m.
- Japanese anime club: The is hosting a will be viewing Japanese anime (animation) and discussing manga (Japanese comics). There will also be crafts, drawing, snacks - plus giveaways and contests.
- Great Deicisons discussion: The library is also hosting the first in an eight part series on U.S. Foreign Policy led by Dr. Craig Brandt, a former naval officer and experienced 'Great Decisions' discussion leader. The discussion will run from 10:30 a.m. to noon and today's topic is "Middle East Realignment."
- Eat my shorts: On this day in 1997 Fox's "The Simpons" became the longest running animated television series, beating out the previous record-holder "The Flintstones." In 2009 the show beat out Gunsmoke for the longest-running American primetime show. Currently "The Simpsons" have been on for 23 seasons and have 498 episodes. There is also a full length motion picture, a variety of video games and more merchandise than even the biggest fan could handle. Perhaps most fun, Homer Simpsons' signature catchphrase of frstration "Do'h" has been adopted into the English language. Language purists may not like that, but "Don't have a cow, man."