Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, Feb. 13. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny and windy: Hold onto your hats, it could be a breezy one today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 37 degrees. West wind between 8 and 13 miles per hour with gusts as high as 26 mph. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 24.
- Selectmen: The is meeting at 7 p.m. today in the second-floor meeting room of . Each meeting begins with a time for residents to express their concerns. Come down and be heard.
- Preschool open house: The , 335 Cambridge Street, is for for prospective students and their parents from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. this evening. www.nurturingnest.org for more information.
- TAG: The Library Teen Advisory Group is meeting at the at 3:30 p.m. this afternoon and will feature Halloween fun. The primary focuses of the group is to make suggestions for addition to the Burlington's Young Adult collection, brainstorm ideas for programs, help make the Young Adults section more inviting, and to assist the library in managing the library's online teen spaces.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: On this day in 2001, the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon received 10 Oscar nominations. The movie, directed by Ang Lee, was originally intended for a Chinese audience, but became Lee’s most popular and successful film. Crouching Tiger, a love story featuring traditional martial arts, was the first Asian film to be nominated for a Best Motion Picture Oscar. The movie is not Ang Lee’s only hit. In 2005, he directed Brokeback Mountain and earned Lee the Best Director Oscar.