Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Tuesday, Dec. 27. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Chance of showers: We may get a bit of rain today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a slight (20 percent) chance of showers after 4 p.m. today with a high temperature near 46 degrees. Chance of showers and thunderstorms tonight with a low around 42.
- Pressure check: offers free every Tuesday morning from 8 to 10 a.m. at the . Come down and get your pressure reading. Even if you feel healthy, it is always best to get checked occasionally.
- Foxhill benefit: The Flatbread Company, a local pizza restaurant at 213 Burlington Road, Bedford, is holding a benefit for Fox Hill Elementary School today. Flatbread will donate a portion of every pizza sold today will go to the school's PTO. Call 781-275-8200 to learn more and order dinner.
- SHINE: Members of from 12 to 3 p.m. at the today. This service is available to assist and inform elders of their rights under Medicare; to help with elders decide which health insurance will work best for them, assistance with drug plans, to help with sorting out medical bills that are received and to make appropriate referrals to various agencies or to the COA's out reach worker for assistance.
- Natural selection: On this day in 1831, Charles Darwin set out in the HMS Beagle for a five-year expedition surveying the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. During the trip, Darwin explored many areas, including the Galapagos Islands and New Zealand, and collected information that helped him develop his theory of evolution.