Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Aug. 9. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny but with chance of storms: Another normal New England day today, meaning the weather may change quickly. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mostly after 1 p.m. Otherwise sunny skies with a high near 88 degrees. A chance of showers and storms tonight with a low around 67.
- Public meetings: The Board of Trustees is meeting at 7 p.m. in the library.
- Book buddies: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a nice program that will connect older and younger children over books today. "" where children can come and enjoy a story read by a teen volunteer begins at 2:30 p.m. today.
- Kids movie night: The will be showing a Christmas related Veggie Tales movie, The Little Drummer Boy, at 6 p.m. this evening. In addition to the movie, they'll have a meal as well as crafts and activities and balloon animals for the children.
- A 'Family' murder spree: On this day in 1969, members of Charles Manson's "Family" cult entered a Beverly Hills home and killed five people. Among the victims? Actress Sharon Tate (Valley of the Dolls) and coffee heiress Abigail Folger. Manson had directed his Family members to kill affluent white people to instigate a race war between blacks and whites, a war he believed was imminent and would benefit his cult. Two years later, Manson was put on trial for masterminding the murders and was convicted. Although given the death penalty, Manson will spend the rest of his life in jail because California repealed the death penalty in 1972.