Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Wednesday, Aug. 8. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny: Looks like another nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 87 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 70.
- Car Seat check: , 133 Cambridge St., will be holding a Car Seat Safety Check today from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Space is limited for this event and an appointment is necessary. Please call Melissa, the Center Director, to reserve your spot at 781-272-6266.
- Movie on the Commons: There will be a family-friendly movie showing at dusk tonight on the Town Commons.
- Stories for toddlers: The will be holding Toddler Storytime at 10:20 a.m. today. The program is aimed at children 18-36 months old and includes stories, puppets and music.
- Garfield gets a new 'friend': This day in 1978 marked the first time Odie appeared in a Jim Davis "Garfield" comic, and in the comic the day is considered the little yellow-furred, brown-eared beagle's birthday. Originally Odie was named Spot until cartoonist Mort Walker pointed out to Davis he already had a dog with that name in his comics. Odie is best know as being the friendly but unintelligent dog that is often the brunt of Garfield's jokes and abuse. However, as pointed out on Wikipedia, Odie had his moments, including the time he locked Garfield and Jon Arbuckle out of the car on a camping trip, only to turn on the radio, enjoy some chips and smile at the other two as they were outside without shelter in a thunderstorm. Good boy!