Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, Aug. 7. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 87 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 68.
- Blood drive: The American Red Cross is holding a from 1:3- to 7 p.m. today at the Burlington , 162 Winn St. Do you part and donate today.
- Concert on the commons: There will be a free concert on the Town Commons at 6:30 p.m. this evening featuring The Classmates (Classic Hits). Come down and jam out to the classics.
- Teddy Bear picnic: The is hosting a today for children of all ages. Join them for teddy bear stories, activities, games and cookies. Parents, please bring your own lunches, beverages and a picnic blanket (if you like). Kids, bring your favorite stuffed animal!
- I got friends in low places...': On this day in 1997, Garth Brooks performed to thousands of people at Central Park in New York City. Although it was widely reported that hundreds of thousands of people attended the event, that fact was disputed years later. Brooks' fans filled the North Meadow, as well as any other open spot within earshot, for the show, which was also televised. Brooks performed some of his biggest hits, such as The Thunder Rolls and Friends in Low Places. He even did the infamous third verse of the latter!