Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Tuesday, Aug. 30. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Irene who?: Tropical Storm Irene is nothing but a memory today, and a distant one at that, as the city is expected to have clear skies and lots of sunshine today, just like yesterday. The National Weather Service is forecasting temperatures in the low 80s.
- Lose weight with support: The group (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is holding a weekly Tuesday meeting today. The group will meet from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the . New members are always welcome to join this supportive and friendly group.
- Pressure check: offers free every Tuesday morning from 8 to 10 a.m. at the . Come down and get your pressure reading. Even if you feel healthy, it is always best to get checked occasionally.
- Open house: , 103 Terrace Hall Ave, is holding an from 5 to 7 p.m. this evening. Tour the facility and meet some of the After School Program instructors. This event is free for the public.
- Sailing takes me away: On this day in 1980, Christopher Cross’ “Sailing” hit number one on the Billboard pop chart. The song was Cross’ second single from his self-titled album. Cross achieved fame from the soft-rock song, and won four Grammy awards thanks to it. Cross still tours today and is most known for “Sailing,” “Arthur’s Theme” and “Think of Laura,” all Top 10 hits.
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.