Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Friday, Aug. 3. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny, chance of showers: Looks like mostly a nice, but warm, day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 91. There is a 30-percent chance of some afternoon showers and thunderstorms however. Chance of rain tonight with a low around 69.
- Ice cream social: , Burlington's newest store for all things pets, is hosting an at 6 p.m. this evening. They will be serving Pina Paw-lada and Blueberry crunch and will also have the most 'pawpular' flavors: Peanut Butter Blast, Bacon delight and Carabou chip. Cups are $1.50 each. Bring in a new friend and your cup is free.
- Needle talk: The is hosting the monthly today from 10 to 11:45 a.m. This club offers participants a chance to learn, share, and motivate one another in the art of knitting.
- Baby books: The is also hosting a for newborns to children 18 months old at 11 a.m. this morning. Delight and stimulate your baby’s senses with books, songs and puppets that help build brain power.
- Weddings would never be the same: On this day in 1996, "Macarena" became the number one single in the United States. And it crawled into all our heads and has stayed there for all eternity. Thanks in part to the fact that nearly every DJ brings it out at weddings, parties and dances. The song was originally performed by Los Del Rio entirely in Spanish. A version remixed with a female voice singing in English went to number one and stayed on the Billboard chart for a record-setting 60 weeks. We're not sure who is to blame for the dance that goes with it (was it the music video?), but we all seem to know it!