Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Aug. 16. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Morning showers possible: Looks like a mixed-bag today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a chance of showers and thunderstorms this morning after 9 a.m. Otherwise cloudy at first and becoming gradually sunny with a high near 84 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 63.
- Raisman Rally: American Gold-medal winning Olympian Aly Raisman is scheduled to be at the Brestyan’s American Gymnastics Club, 13 Ray Ave., at about 11 a.m. this.
- Lego Club: The hosting a Lego Club for children in grades 1 to 6 at 1 p.m. this afternoon. They supply the Legos, you bring your imagination.
- 140 character news: Did you know Burlington Patch uses Twitter to post updates of area new throughout the day? If you'd like to stay updated and join in the conversation, follow us on Twitter by following @BurlingtonPatch.
- Gold rush: On this day in 1896, a man salmon fishing in Canada's Yukon Territory spots gold nuggets in the creek bed. The discovery would lead to the gold rush in the American west. The news of gold spread across the country and over two years nearly 50,000 miners went west looking for gold. Between the late 1800s and 1966, large operations mined about $250 million worth of gold. Now, about 200 small gold mines continue to operate in the Yukon Territory.