Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Thursday, April 5. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny: Pretty basic weather report today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 55. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 30.
- Student concert: The Real School of Music is hosting a Free Student Showcase event at 7 p.m. this evening. See performances by the winter session students as they show off what they've learned.
- Japanese anime club: The is hosting a event from 2:45 to 4 p.m. today. They will be viewing Japanese anime (animation) and discussing manga (Japanese comics). There will also be crafts, drawing, snacks - plus giveaways and contests.
- Bridge: The is also hosting two bridge playing events today. The is COA Bridge Players, a group aimed at seniors, which will meet at 1 p.m.. The is the Thursday Night Bridge group, which meets at 6:30 p.m. Both sessions are open to the public, so come down, play some bridge and meet new people.
- New World love: On this day in 1614, Virginian Indian Pocahontas, who had taken the name Rebecca, married tobacco planter John Rolfe. Pocahontas, daughter of Chief Powhatan, had been captured by the English in 1613 and during her captivity converted to Christianity. When given the chance to return to her people she decided to stay with the English, took the name Rebecca, and married Rolfe. But what about John Smith? It is a well known story that Pocahontas saved the explorer from execution by throwing herself over him as her father was about to strike, but it was Rolfe who eventually won her heart.