Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, April 13. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Return of the sun: Looks like yesterdays gray clouds will be on their way out today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 61. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 37. Looking ahead to the weekend, all looks very encouraging. We can expect low 70s both days with mostly sunny skies Saturday and a slight chance of showers on Sunday.
- Last chance for absentee ballot: Anyone in need of an absentee ballot for Saturday's town election must apply for one in the Town Clerk's office in by noon today. .
- Story time: The is offering Storytime: today. This is a 20-minute event for children under 18 months old that features simple stories and songs. Babytime starts at 11 a.m.
- Home game: The boys Varsity Tennis Team is hosting a match against Lexington High at 3:30 p.m. at on Patriot Road.
- "Houston, we've had a problem here": On this day in 1970, those infamous words were spoken as a Beech-built oxygen tank explodes while the Apollo 13 attempts a trip to the moon. The situation captivated a nation as NASA engineers and astronauts worked frantically to get the broken space capsule home. The Apollo 13 landed safely and with no human lives lost in the South Pacific Ocean on April 17th.