Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Friday, Oct. 12. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Morning showers: Looks like a mixed bag today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a chance of showers before 1 p.m. then gradually clearing through the afternoon. High near 55 degrees. Clear tonight and cold with a low around 30.
- Kids movie night: Burlington Church of Christ is holding a kid's movie night starting at 6 p.m. this evening. The church will be showing the brand new Veggie Tales movie, The Penniless Princess. This is a practical lesson emphasizing finding our true worth in God's eyes rather than focusing on externals like possessions or physical attractiveness. There will also be food, crafts and balloon animals.
- Sword play: Guard Up! Family Swordsmanship & NERF is hosting a "Sword Night: Tournament of Champions" at 7 p.m. this evening. Bring your friends and swords for a night of bopper weapon fun. Cost is $20.
- Baby books: The Library is also hosting a Baby Storytime for newborns to children 18 months old at 11 a.m. this morning. Delight and stimulate your baby’s senses with books, songs and puppets that help build brain power.
- Thank God I’m A Country Boy: On this day in 1997, John Denver died in an aircraft crash in California. Despite a smooth take-off and good weather conditions, Denver lost control of the aircraft shortly after 5:30 p.m. and crashed into Monterey Bay. The singer was most known for his hits “Rocky Mountain High” and “Take Me Home Country Roads.” He also frequently starred with the Muppets on their variety show. Before becoming a famous musician himself, Denver penned the iconic hit “Leaving on a Jet Plane.” Denver was 54 when he died.