Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, Oct. 1. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Partly sunny: Looks like the clouds and rain we had yesterday are on their way out. According to the National Weather Service we can expect partly sunny skies with a high near 70 degrees. Partly cloudy tonight with a low around 51.
- Story and crafts: The Burlington Public Library is holding a story and craft event today for children ages three to six at 11:15 a.m. Come by for a story and a craft based on it.
- Sign up with Patch: Do you have a Patch account? Signing up allows you to post Announcements, comment on stories, upload pictures and videos to stories, post business reviews and ask and answer questions in our Q&A Section, and a bunch more. Click here for a video tutorial on how to sign up.
- "Like" us today: Did you know that Burlington Patch has a Facebook page? We post updates throughout the day and invite friends to comment on links, pictures and stories. Join in the conversation by "liking" our page by clicking here. Last count we were at 744 followers and we'd really like to hit 750!
- Happiest Place on Earth: On this day in 1971 Walt Disney World opened its doors for the first time. The park was designed by Walt Disney in the 1960s to supplement Walt Disney Land in California. Disney World, located in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. When it opened there was only the Magic Kingdom. Since then the park has added Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom. The park employs 6,600 people and sees almost 17 million visitors per year.