Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Monday, Oct. 8. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny but cool: Looks like a nice day with a strong fall feeling. According to the National Weather Service we can expect partly sunny skies with a high near 59 degrees. A slight chance of rain tonight with a low around 43.
- Columbus Day: Today is Columbus Day, meaning many places, including all public buildings, are closed today. Click here for a list of what is open and closed today.
- Celebrate Simchat Torah: Temple Shalom Emeth is hosting a celebration of Simchat Torah at 6:30 p.m. this evening. Join them for one of the most lively and fun services of the year as we rejoice in completing the reading of the Torah and begin again. They will have seven Torah parades in the sanctuary and parking lot, then dance in the social hall with music by the temple band. They will read the end and beginning of the Torah. Challah, apples and juice following the service.
- Sign up with Patch: Do you have a Patch account? Signing up allows you to post Announcements, comment on stories, upload pictures and videos to stories, post business reviews and ask and answer questions in our Q&A Section, and a bunch more. Click here for a video tutorial on how to sign up.
- "Like" us today: Did you know that Burlington Patch has a Facebook page? We post updates throughout the day and invite friends to comment on links, pictures and stories. Join in the conversation by "liking" our page by clicking here. Last count we were at 747 followers and we'd really like to hit 750!