Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Oct. 4. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Afternoon showers: Looks like we could get some more rain today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect showers, mostly after 1 p.m. Otherwise cloudy with a high near 67 degrees. Showers likely tonight with a low around 53.
- Public meetings: The Burlington Housing Authority is holding a meeting this morning at 10 a.m. in the Housing Authority Office, 15 Birchcrest St. Additionally, the Planning Board has a meeting at 7:30 p.m. this evening in the hearing room on the second floor of Town Hall.
- Foreign Affairs talk: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a foreign affairs discussion at 10:30 a.m. today. The discussions will be led by Dr. Craig Brandt, a former naval officer who has been a professor at the Air Force Institute of Technology and dean of academic affairs at the Defense Institute of Security Assistance Management.
- Picture book movies: The library is also hosting a Picture Books-n-Movies event at 3:30 for children three and up. They will show a movie based on a picture book.
- Start of the Space Race: On this day in 1957 the Soviet Union launched Sputnik 1, the first man-made satellite put into orbit. Sputnik caused wide-spread concern in the United States and started the Space Race, a part of the Cold War.