Invite a friend
Evening Book Discussion: 'The Bell Ringers' by Henry Porter
Join experienced group leader Monte Pearson in a spirited discussion of Henry Porter's near-future thriller 'The Bell Ringers'. This is a fast-paced 2011 book set in Britain that presents a provocative dilemma: How much personal privacy would YOU give up in the name of national security?
A man is killed by a bomb while trying to expose a massive data collection and surveillance system called DEEP TRUTH that is prying into every part of every citizen’s life. The man’s ex-lover and a small group of people known as Bell Ringers must expose the Prime Minister’s Orwellian machinations.
Readers in England– where routine government surveillance is a fact of life – had strong reactions to this book.U.S. readers can treat the novel simply as a superb thriller, but they can also recall what may have inspired DEEP TRUTH: the Total Information Awareness Program that Congress banned in 2003, but which may be still under development.
The 'Last Wednesday Book Discussion Group' welcomes all readers to join in its monthly discussion from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Copies of each month's book are available at the library's front desk by the first of each month. Light refreshments are served.
More About Burlington Public Library
Completed in 1968, the current Burlington Public Library replaced the old facility at the Center School, which was too small to accommodate the growing town population. The building was renovated and expanded in 1995 to comply with building accessibility standards and size requirements. The library has more than 91,000 print items and 17,000 non-print items available to the public and more materials are available through inter-library loan. There are meeting rooms of various sizes for group meetings and study sessions and computers are available for use. Passes to many New England museums are available for purchase at the library. There are also notaries public on staff for anyone who needs to have a document notarized. The library also offers reading, educational and fun programs, including computer classes, for children, teens, and adults.
Other events here
- After School Story & Craft April 22, 2013 / May 20, 2013, 3:45 pm–4:30 pm
- TOPS Take off Pounds Sensibly Weekly on Tuesdays,
- Toddler Storytime Weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10:30 am–11:00 am
- Preschool Storytime Weekly on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 11:00 am–11:30 am
- Teen Advisory Group (TAG) Meetings April 16, 2013 / May 21, 2013 / June 18, 2013, 5:30 pm–6:30 pm
- Pajama Storytime Weekly on Tuesdays, 7:00 pm–7:30 pm
- Baby Storytime Weekly on Fridays, 11:00 am–11:25 am
- Batik Bookmarks Tue, Jun 11, 4:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Summer Reading 2013 Kickoff for Teens! Thu, Jun 27, 3:00 pm–4:00 pm