Sausage, Tomato and Cream Sauce...Oh My!
Give this creamy tomato sauce a whirl on your next pasta night.
"Everything you see I owe to spaghetti." ~Sophia Loren
I was tired of the same spaghetti and meatballs dinner last week so I searched around for a new pasta recipe to try. I wanted it to be pretty basic and easy to make and still be based around tomatoes. After weeding through dozens of pasta salad recipes and about a million spaghetti and meatballs recipes, I came across one that sounded pretty darn interesting. It called for a bit of spice, a bit of sweetness and a bunch of cream. I was sold. I've never met a cream sauce I didn't like.
We were pretty happy with the outcome and it'll now get thrown into the dinner rotation. If you prefer a spicier sauce use hot sausages and more red pepper flakes. Or you can leave the hot flakes out completely, stick with the sweet sausages and use Italian seasoning instead. Use this as a base recipe and switch it up at will.
Pasta with Sausage Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 box pasta of your choice (I used bow ties)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 26 oz box Italian tomatoes (I used Pomi but you can use canned if you like)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- few grinds of fresh pepper
- Parsley as garnish
- Cook pasta according to directions
- Heat oil in deep pan over medium heat.
- Cook sausage and red pepper flakes until browned.
- Drain sausage.
- Put sausage back in pan and add onions and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until mixture thickens, approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir pasta into sauce and top with parsley.