5 Things You Need to Know Today, Sept. 12
A nice day, a chance for a free music lesson and a home volleyball game.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Wednesday, Sept. 12. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny and warmer: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high temperature near 83 degrees. Clear tonight with a low around 54.
- Public meeting: The Burlington Council of Aging is meeting at 10 a.m. in the Human Resources Building room 136.
- Home game: The Burlington High School girls varsity volleyball team is taking on Woburn High at the school at 4 p.m. today.
- Music lessons: Interested in learning how to play an instrument? Burlington's Real School of Music is currently offering free trial lessons for students interesting in learning about their fall session that runs until Dec. 31. Call today to schedule yours at 888.881.REAL (7325).
- The busing of Boston: On this day in 1974, violent riots broke out in areas of Boston due to the court-ordered "busing" of African-American children into predominantly white schools and vice versa. Buses were hit with bottles, bricks and eggs, and police wore combat gear while they controlled the riots. Many parents of both races kept their children home. The story of busing has been told several times, including the book All Souls, a great read for anyone who hasn't picked it up.