5 Things You Need to Know Today, Oct. 28
Sunny but cool today.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section. Today is Friday, Oct. 28. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sun, not snow: It looks like today is going to be a heck a lot nicer than yesterday. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 46 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 31.
- Book sale: The Friends of the Burlington Public Library are kicking off the Fall Book Sale that will run this weekend at the library. The sale hours are 12 to 5:30 p.m. Also, any child that wears a Halloween costume will get a free childrens book.
- Try a Segway at Service: Temple Shalom Emeth is hosting a program on "Segs4Vets" at 7:45 p.m. this evening. The organization helps disabled veterans learn to ride Segways so they can be independently mobile. Come to the service and try out a Segway and learn about the program.
- Fat Bastard tasting: Busa Wine & Spirits is hosting a wine tasting of Fat Bastard Wines, including Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Rose, and Cabernet Sauvignon. Tasting runs from 4 to 6 p.m.
- Lady Liberty: On this day in 1886, President Grover Cleveland accepted the Statue of Liberty on behalf of the American public. The statue was a gift from France, in recognition of the French and American alliance during the Revolutionary War. The copper statue was sent to New York in 350 parts and reassembled Lady Liberty on Liberty Island in New York Harbor.