5 Things You Need to Know Today, May 16
Cloudy with morning showers, home games and a meeting of Friends of Mary Cummings Park.
"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the new feature in the comments section.
Today is Monday, May 16. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Cloud and cooler: Looks like the rain is going to continue today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect a chance of showers this morning with areas of fog. It will be cloudy the rest of the day with a high temperature of 56 degrees.
- Town meeting: The third session of Burlington's 2011 annual Town Meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Burlington High School auditorium. Click here for the latest news from last week's sessions.
- Home games: Burlington High's sports teams have a variety of home games today. The girls varsity tennis team is hosting a match against Lexington High at 3:30 p.m. at Rahanis Park, 10 Patriot Road. The girls softball team is taking on Woburn at 3:45 at Marvin Field, 90 S Bedford St. The boys baseball team is playing Woburn at 3:45 at Francis Wyman Elementary School and the girls lacrosse team is playing Winchester High at 4:30 p.m. at the high school.
- Preserve the park: The Friends of Mary Cumming Park are meeting tonight at 7 p.m. in the Folgelberg A meeting room at the Burlington Public Library. The purpose of this meeting is to updates members on activities, plan future activities and sign up new members. The group is always looking for new people to lend their time, energy and ideas.
- We are a part of the Rhythm Nation: On this day in 1966, Janet Jackson was born. Although she’s known as one of the many musical Jacksons, Janet has always stood out on her own. Sometimes an actress, the American public first saw her as “Penny” on Good Times. But it was her break-out CD Control and later Rhythm Nation that made her a musical household name.
For more things to do today, check out our Events page.