5 Things You Need to Know Today, March 16
Showers and thunderstorms possible, wine tasting and a knitting group meeting.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, March 16. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Thunderstruck: Ah, we’ve waited awhile to get that AC/DC reference back into Five Things! Today’s the day, according to the National Weather Service, we’ll see thunder tonight and rain tonight after 5 p.m. The day should be cloudy with temperatures around 50 degrees. Chance of showers tonight with an overnight low around 41.
- Needle talk: The Burlington Public Library is hosting the monthly Friday Knit Club today from 10 to 11:45 a.m. This club offers participants a chance to learn, share, and motivate one another in the art of knitting.
- Open gym for moms: The Burlington Recreation department is hosting a Mother to Mother Open Gym from 11 a.m. to noon at the Community Life Center. Let the kids run around for an hour as they provide hula hoops, balls, and many other toys to play with. Cost is $1 for members and $2 for non-members.
- Wine tasting: Busa Wine & Spirits is hosting a wine tasting from 3 to 6 p.m. today. Come down and try Cheatuea St. Jean wines, one of the first wineries in California to craft single vineyard designed wines.
- Salem’s native son: On this day in 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne of Salem published the infamous story of colonial adultery—The Scarlet Letter. The story introduced us to Hester Prynne, forced to wear a scarlet “A” on her chest to symbolize the adultery she guilty of. Hawthorne’s other works include Young Goodman Brown and the House of Seven Gables.