5 Things You Need to Know Today, Dec. 23
Chance of rain and snow mix today with less than half-an-inch of snow accumulation possible.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance. Check back later for more, and let us know what you think of the feature in the comments section.
Today is Friday, Dec. 23. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Rain and snow mix: Looks like there is potential for a messy day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expet rain and snow before 11 a.m., then snow for an hour and then a mix again after noon. High temperature near 41 degrees. New snow accumulation of less than a half-inch possible. Chance of rain showers before 8 p.m. tonight then a slight chance of snow showers. Overnight low around 23.
- Holiday closings: The Burlington Public Schools are closed today for the beginning of the holiday break. The Burlington Public Library is also closed today and Burlington Town Hall and the town offices will close at 1 p.m.
- Photo with Santa: There are only two days left to get a picture with Santa at the Burlington Mall. Santa will available from today from 9 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. and tomorrow from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Come down and get a picture for the Holidays.
- Alumni wresting: The Burlington High School boys varsity gymnastics team will host an Alumni Meet at 7 p.m. today at the school.
- Streets of Philadelphia: On this day in 1993, the feature film Philadelphia opened in theaters across the U.S. The movie starred Tom Hanks as a gay lawyer fired from his job because he has contracted AIDS. It was the first major motion picture to tackle the sensitive topic of AIDS in such an open manner. Philadelphia won two Oscars, including Best Actor, which went to Hanks.