5 Things You Need to Know Today, Aug. 30
A nice and sunny day, an ice cream social and two opportunities to play bridge.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Aug. 30. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny and warm: Looks like a nice day today. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 85 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 60.
- Bridge: The Library is also hosting two bridge playing events today. The first is COA Bridge Players, a group aimed at seniors, which will meet at 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. The second is the Thursday Night Bridge group, which meets at 6:30 p.m. Both sessions are open to the public, so come down, play some bridge and meet new people.
- Ice cream social: Pawsitive Thoughts, Burlington's newest store for all things pets, is hosting an ice cream social at 6 p.m. this evening. Cups are $1.50 each and are for you and your pup.
- 140 character news: Did you know Burlington Patch uses Twitter to post updates of area new throughout the day? If you'd like to stay updated and join in the conversation, follow us on Twitter by following @BurlingtonPatch.
- Rule like an Egyptian: On this day in 30 B.C., Cleopatra, the Queen of Egypt, takes her own life. After a long history of civil wars, conflicts with Rome, and a series of lovers, Cleopatra committed suicide at age 39. Scholars believe that she did so using an asp, a poisonous Egyptian serpent that symbolized divine royalty. Cleopatra opted to kill herself in 30 B.C. rather than live under the Roman Octavian's rule.