5 Things You Need to Know Today, Aug. 23
A warm and sunny day, a chance to play bridge and classes on giving that perfect speech.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Thursday, Aug. 23. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Sunny and warm: Looks like a nice, though hot, day. According to the National Weather Service we can expect sunny skies with a high near 87 degrees. Mostly clear tonight with a low around 61.
- Bridge: The Burlington Public Library is hosting two bridge playing events today. The first is COA Bridge Players, a group aimed at seniors, which will meet at 10 a.m. The second is the Thursday Night Bridge group, which meets at 6:30 p.m. Both sessions are open to the public, so come down, play some bridge and meet new people.
- Toastmasters: There is a session of the "Last Word Toastmasters Club" at 6:30 p.m. tonight at the Burlington Public Library. This Toastmasters Club is an international organization dedicated to helping members improve their communication and leadership skills. Come join the fun-filled, stress-free, supportive group. Walk-ins are always welcome.
- Claim your listing: Do you own or manage a business in town? Burlington Patch has a robust directory page with just about every business in Burlington and we'd like to invite you to claim your listing. This gives you the chance to change the details, make updates and add new photos. Click here to find out how.
- Before Yoko: We all know about Yoko Ono, widow of the late Beatles singer John Lennon, and the woman who is popularly (though perhaps unfairly) believed to have led to the end of the Fab Four. However, Ono was Lennon's second wife. On this day in 1962 John Lennon married Cynthia Powell at the Mount Pleasant Register office in Liverpool. The two met while students at the Liverpool College of Arts and it appears Cynthia had a crush on the young artist from the beginning. According to Wikipedia, Powell once overheard Lennon compliment another woman, who looked like Brigitte Bardot, on her hair. That next weekend Powell turned up at the college with her hair several shades blonder, something that Lennon noticed. Soon after he asked her to "go out."