5 Things You Need to Know Today, Aug. 14
Mostly sunny and warm, word games and a trivia night.
Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
Today is Tuesday, Aug. 14. Here are 5 things you need to know:
- Mostly sunny and warm: Not much to see here but another nice day. According to the National Weather Service we can expect mostly sunny skies with a high near 87 degrees. A slight chance of thunderstorms after 3 a.m. tonight. Otherwise, mostly cloudy tonight with a low around 71.
- Word game: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a Summer Scrabble event for students entering grades 4 to 8 at 3:30 p.m. today. No registration required. Come down, hang out with friends and meet new people and play Scrabble.
- New career help: The Burlington Public Library is hosting a Career Transition program from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. today. This is a networking and workshop dedicated to providing a 'roadmap to re-employment' for transitioning professionals. It is free and all are welcome.
- Trivia: Uno Chicago Bar and Grill is hosting Stump Trivia at 8 p.m. this evening. Grab some friends to form a team and come down for questions on Anatomy to Literature, Movies to History.
- Murder has been around for ages: On this day in 1751, Francis Blandy of London dies after a lengthy bout of nausea and acute stomach pain. His daughter, who flees the country, is captured and charged with his murder. Mary, then 26, was unmarried and involved with a Scotsman, who just happened to be married. When Francis disapproved of the relationship and wouldn't give Mary her dowry, she began feeding him arsenic with his meals. The servants caught on to Mary's scheme and turned her in to authorities after Francis's death. She was convicted and hanged for her crime. Her boyfriend died penniless in France.